How to transfer to the University of Oklahoma, the largest research institution in the state

Editor’s Note: TCC Transfer Guide is a multipart series dedicated to shining a spotlight on different university transfer opportunities available for Tulsa Community College students. The current installment focuses on the University of Oklahoma.

Theresa Richardson is a transfer admissions counselor at the Office of Admissions and Recruitment of the University of Oklahoma (OU).

She specifically processes students for a variety of colleges at the university: Earth and Energy, Engineering, and Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences, but she can answer questions from any transfer students.

Below, Richardson responds to questions on how to transfer to the University of Oklahoma to receive a bachelor’s degree. 

How would you describe your university?
OU is a mid-sized research institution. We are the largest research institution in the state, but our student population is smaller than many Big 12 universities. We think it’s the best of both worlds– a research institution with many research opportunities for students available from their first year here but with a small family feeling. We have around 22,000 undergraduate students at the Norman campus and offer over 170 majors. We also have over 550 student-led organizations, including OATS, the Oklahoma Association of Transfer Students.

How can a TCC student transfer to the University of Oklahoma?
Students can transfer to OU with at least seven (7) credit hours. There is no upper limit. And students can transfer with or without graduating with an associate degree. We accept transfer students for fall, spring, and summer semesters, so there is always an open application period. To apply, students should go to They must have all their previous institutions send original transcripts to Admissions requirements vary by major, but most require at least a 2.5 transfer GPA. Students with 24 or more hours and at least a 3.25 transfer GPA are awarded transfer academic scholarships. You can find more information at

Theresa Richardson, a transfer admissions counselor at the University of Oklahoma, helps students to transfer to OU. Photo submitted.

For more information, contact:

Theresa Richardson
Transfer Admissions Counselor – Office of Admissions & Recruitment
The University of Oklahoma

Buchanan Hall

1000 Asp Avenue, Room 127

Norman, Oklahoma 73019

Phone: (405) 325-2151
Social media: @go2ou |
Connect virtually today at

An assortment of flowers decorate on the south courtyard of Parrington Oval near the executive offices at the University of Oklahoma in Norman. Photo submitted.
Back To Top