Category: Community

Review: The Starlight Concert Band brought American patriotism to Tulsa

On July 26, as a decently packed Guthrie Green unveiled the Starlight Concert Band, the band began playing the song “American Salute” with its quiet flutes that crescendo into loud horns.  The next song played was Henry Fillmore’s “Americans We,” as the emcee said, “Henry Fillmore was known as the father of the smear.” As […]

“I Can’t Sign” Workshop educates the community on American Sign Language

On June 17, Tulsa Speech and Hearing Association (TSHA), in partnership with the Thomas K. McKeon Center for Creativity (C4C), presented the “I Can’t Sign” workshop.  Diana Emerson, community relations manager at TSHA, represents an organization that provides resources for deaf, hard of hearing, and all ranges of hearing loss for Oklahomans. Since 2016, TSHA […]

Review: “Tulsa Sings! American Jukebox”

On April 8, the Saturday before Easter, the Tulsa Community College Signature Symphony held the concert “Tulsa Sings! American Jukebox” at the Performing Arts Center for Education at the Southeast Campus. The concert included performances by the seven finalists from the Tulsa Sings!competition and several other vocalists. The Signature Symphony played several instrumental medleys as […]

Review: Portraits of the Past: The artwork of Johnny Montgomery 

Veteran, artist, historian, and activist. These are some of the words used to describe Johnny Montgomery, a painter from South Carolina and member of the Gullah nation. His work was recently presented for the Black Wall Street Rally on May 12-13, showcasing his art for many to see for the very first time. The event […]

TCC Children’s Summer Theatre Presents Auditions for The SpongeBob Musical

TCC Children’s Summer Theatre Presents Auditions for The SpongeBob Musical Auditions for the Tulsa Community College’s Children’s Summer Theatre production of The SpongeBob Musical will be held on June 10 and 11th from 1-4pm and callbacks and new auditioners on June 17th from 1-4pm at the Pace Studio Theatre at TCC Southeast Campus. Auditioners can arrive anytime between 1-4pm […]

Gray’s Analysis: Tafvmpuce – Wild Onions – A Reason to Come Together  

As I sat down to begin researching for my next article, my wife, Cheyenne Gray, made an exciting discovery. Just 10 feet from our front porch, was a strange clump of grass. For years we would mow it over in the summer, and each year it would just grow back. My wife, being the green […]

The public learns wet-on-wet painting technique at the Center for Creativity

On March 6, “I Can’t Paint a Landscape” workshop attracted lovers of art to the Tulsa Community College (TCC) Center for Creativity. Maddy Witt, an instructor at Gilcrease Museum, gave a step-by-step lesson on how to paint a landscape with watercolors. First, the workshop participants drew a tree, defined the background, and foreground. Then the […]

Labor Secretary Walsh visits Tulsa’s Historic Greenwood District

U.S. Secretary of Labor Marty Walsh was in Tulsa to tour the historic Greenwood district on Feb. 9. Area college students were invited to meet with Sec. Walsh during his visit. Those students were from Tulsa Community College and its media group, TCC Connection; TCC African American Student Association (AASA), Oklahoma State University, and Tulsa […]

Art 4orms Foundation draws up a plan for kids and families

Are you searching for art programs for your kids or your family to achieve growth, learn history, and think creatively? You need to look no further. Art 4orms Foundation has programs that provide free arts & wellness resources for students and families in north Tulsa. These programs are changing the way kids view art. In […]